Dr Bruce Robinson from the Fathering Project shares his thoughts on unconditional love in his most recent video. A Father’s love has lasting effects into adulthood and these close parent relationships are the biggest influence on your child’s development.
Dr Robinson lists six top tips in giving unconditional love:
- ‘Tell them they are loved’ simply because they are your child. Not because of what they do or don’t do.
- Your love needs to be unconditional even when you disagree. During a disagreement it is especially important for your child knows you will still love them.
- Even when they’ve behaved badly tell them you love them, but that you don’t like their behaviour and you won’t put up with it.
- Set a goal to never end the day without letting your child know they are loved
- Surprise them sometimes by telling them when they don’t expect it.
- Write how you feel in cards, notes, emails and text messages for them.
Click on the video below to watch the whole message.