Welcome to Semester 1 2023!
Welcome to Semester 1 2023! We trust that you have enjoyed a restful and fulfilled holiday.
Psalm 1 Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, 2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law, day and night. 3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither—whatever they do prospers.
A study of trees and their growth in a closed biosphere showed that after planting the trees grew very quickly but then withered and collapsed. This phenomenon confounded Scientists. It was discovered that trees need wind to build adequate root systems and stress bark (http://awesci.com/the-role-of-wind-in-a-trees-life/). This example and the verses in Psalm 1, highlight for us the importance of our surroundings and conditions. In schools learning experiences are created to encourage students to engage in their learning and with intrinsic motivation grow and develop. However, this may be difficult for some. A clear take away from the above is that students should not be saved from difficult times. The risks taken to learn and relate well to others allows growth in resilience, empathy, kindness and character (strong root systems and stress bark). We pray for our students across SCC for this semester and into the future that they would grow daily in knowledge and character.
Swan Christian is a Kindergarten to Year 12 co-educational school accommodating over 1500 students and is comprised of four sub-schools:
- Junior School; Kindergarten to Year 6
- Senior School; Year 7 – Year 12
- Swanonline delivering quality online learning for Year 7 – Year 12
- Swan Trade Training Centre; Years 11 and 12
Our leadership team and staff seek to provide multiple opportunities and pathways for success after school in training, employment or service by:
- Creating a College culture where excellence and achievement is expected and celebrated.
- Engaging with parents to develop a stronger and more resilient College community.
- Being a place where staff are unified in purpose and seeking excellence in professional practice.
- Ensuring that financial and material resources are managed effectively to the highest business standards of integrity and sustainability.
I invite you to explore this website and see what we have to offer your child. Further, I encourage you to come and visit. I would be delighted to welcome you to our beautiful campus and share with you the learning opportunities available here.
Dr Darnelle Pretorius